2010 Census

The Baltimore Jewish Council is involved in the 2010 U.S. Census effort serving on many subcommittees and the Executive Committee of Baltimore City's Complete Count Campaign. The Census counts every resident in the United States and is required by the Constitution to take place every 10 years.  Did you know the 2010 Census will help communities receive more than $400 billion in federal funds and the data collected will help determine the number of seats Maryland and other states have in the U.S. House of Representatives?  

 

U.S. Secretary of Commerce Robert Groves officially released the final national mail participation rates on April 28, Maryland's participation rate was 74%, 2% more then the national average and Baltimore City's 6% - point increase from 2000 is one of the best in the nation.    View the Governor's April press release with mail-in results from Maryland and Nationally. 

 

Baltimore City's 66% participation rate leaves 34% left to be counted to ensure a complete and accurate count for our City.  The Bureau's Non-Response Follow-Up operations, door-to-door census canvassing, began as early as May 1, 2010.  During this operation, local census takers will visit households that did not mail back a census form.  Click here to learn about census officals, who they are, what they will ask you, and more important information.

 

Census data affects funding & political representation for our community. For more information please see the links below.

 

United States Census 2010

 

Maryland Complete Count Campaign

 

City of Baltimore – 2010 Census

 

View sample Census 2010 form

 

Question Assistance Center (QAC) & hotline numbers


Contest Link: Guess Baltimore's Population in 2010

 

Census in the school & Resources for Teachers  

 

Adopt-a-Neighborhood Project

 

Baltimore’s Census Timeline


·     February – March 2010:  Census questionnaires are mailed or delivered to households

·     April 1, 2010:  Census Day

·     April – July 2010:  Census takers visit households that did not return a questionnaire by mail

·     December 2010:  By law, Census Bureau delivers population counts to President for apportionment

·      March 2011:  By law, Census Bureau completes delivery of redistricting data to states

Take Action!

SAVE THE DATE!
BJC Annual Meeting 2014

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Please join us at Chizuk Amuno Congregation for our Annual Meeting celebrating 75 years of Community in Action. 

For more information and to register, click here.

 

5750 Park Heights Avenue, Baltimore MD 21215     p: 410-542-4850     f: 410-542-4834     info@baltjc.org